Servings: 6 serves
- 3 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp 25 Star balsamic vinegar
- Small handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
- 6 small toasted cheese croutons
- 2 tbsp low-fat sour cream
- Put tomatoes into a bowl of boiling water for 30 seconds, then refresh in cold water. Drain.
- Peel and discard the skins and quarters the tomatoes. Put them in a large saucepan and pour in the chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover a simmer gently for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft.
- Stir the tomato paste, vinegar, sugar and basil. Season with salt and pepper, then cook gently, stirring for 2 minutes. Puree the soup in a blender of food processor then return to the saucepan and reheat until piping hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!